Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Nick Verreos on "Latin Connection Magazine" Cover & La Opinion L.A., La Prensa NY article/profiles!!

Latin Designing: Latin Connection Texas, My Barbie and My NIKOLAKI Models...

Nick Verreos, on the cover of this month's Latin Connection Texas Magazine

Last month, Wayne Zamora, Editor-in-Chief of Latin Connection Texas Magazine, contacted me to do an Interview and an article on me, for the magazine, and of course, I said "SI!". And then, to my surprise, I made the cover! In the write-up, you can read about my "Early Years" in Caracas Venezuela, my love of 70's Flight Attendants, and being raised by FABULOUS Latina women--and my Greek dad. I'm honored to be in Latin Connection Texas Magazine and make the cover, especially since I have a close connection to Texas since my parents, sister and my niece and nephew all live there. And of course, not to mention the fact that I never met a BIG Texas BELT BUCKLE and Cowboy Boot I didn't like!!
You can read the entire Latin Connection Magazine article HERE (go to page 6).

Also: Mi Barbie y Mis Modelos (Translation: My Barbie and my Models)...


Sequins and Gold...Red! Fashion Designer Nick Verreos poses with Models Amanda Fields and Danika Thompson wearing NIKOLAKI gowns, FIDM Los Angeles Campus

In addition to being in Latin Connection Texas Magazine, EFE Newswire Service (Spanish-language version of A.P.) and EFEAmerica.com contacted me last week, wanting to do an interview that "would go around the Spanish-speaking world about myself--a story on a Latino Fashion Designer who "did muy bueno" and became successful in this industry. Again, naturally, I said "Si, por supuesto!".

Nick Verreos at the FIDM Museum & Galleries, "19Th Annual Art of Motion Picture Costume Design" Exhibition (photo courtesy of Ivan Mejia)

They also wanted to do a photoshoot that would accompany the piece--and what better place than my Alma Mater--and the College I am an Instructor and the Spokesperson for--the Fashion Institute of Design & Merchandising/FIDM.

My Barbie! Nick Verreos shows off his "My Scene Project Runway Season 2 Barbie", FIDM Los Angeles Campus

I threw on my most fabulous red jacket (Hot Latin Color!) and gathered two of my favorite muses/models, the statuesque Amanda Fields and Danika Thompson, as well as brought them several of my NIKOLAKI gowns to try on for the shoot. The writer (and photographer) Ivan Mejia, had also asked me if I could bring "My Barbie"--the "Project Runway My Scene Barbie" I had designed (and was subsequently manufactured and sold at Toys 'R Us). He said that showing me with my Barbie would make for nice photos to go with the article.

Another Pose Por Favor: Posing with my models Amanda Fields (Left), Danika Thompson (Right) and my Assistant for the shoot, Jesse Jacobs at FIDM Los Angeles Campus

Well, in the midst of remembering to bring the gowns, getting myself ready and finishing up on my NIKOLAKI Studio work I was doing earlier in the day...I totally forgot to bring my Barbie! But, thank goodness someone at FIDM came to the rescue: Someone at the school HAD MY BARBIE in their office and they (very nicely) let us borrow it for the shoot. Yeayyy! for FIDM and Yeayyy! for having my Barbie!

Would You Like A Sleeve: Nick Verreos measures model Amanda Fields--in NIKOLAKI gown--at FIDM Los Angeles Campus(photo courtesy of Ivan Mejia)

Yep, She's Tiny: Nick Verreos measures model Danika Thompson--in NIKOLAKI gown--at FIDM Los Angeles Campus(photo courtesy of Ivan Mejia)

All of us--the models in my gowns, my "Project Runway Barbie", and myself--posed in front of the "Pink-tastic" FIDM Barbie 50Th Anniversary Display, which also features my other Barbie! I know...that's one too many Barbies in one paragraph!!! In the end, I had a great time doing the photoshoot and the interview for my Latinos.

*You can read the finished article:
HERE on efeamerica.com

HERE to read it from the LA Opinion Newspaper and La Prensa NY Portal Website, impre.com

And for All Time's Sake:
Here's a quick video of my Winning Barbie Design on Season 2 Project Runway:

No comments:

Post a Comment